Tips on Keeping Your Drains Clog Free
If it seems that a drain in your home in having a difficult time remaining clear, the first step toward fixing the issue is to understand what to avoid putting into it. Some of the most frequent culprits of clogged drains include coffee grounds, cooking grease, soap scum and hair. The experts of Coastal Plumbing Inc. in Carlsbad recommend the following practices where these things are concerned:
- Add coffee grounds to a mulch pile or just throw them into the garbage
- Pour leftover cooking grease in a container such as a coffee can, disposing of it later
- Keep hair and soap scum out with a drain grate or screen, available through most supply stores, ensuring that you choose one that fits your fixture size and aesthetic
Proper Maintenance for Pipes
When it comes to maintaining your home’s drains, there are plenty of cleaning methods that you can use on your own.
- Combine a handful of baking soda with hot water and pour down the drain. Not only is baking soda great for cleaning, it also absorbs any unpleasant odors, making your home a more pleasant place overall.
- Allow a cup of vinegar to sit in your drain for half an hour, and follow it with piping hot water. The acetic acid in vinegar makes it a terrific cleaning agent.
- After every use of a fixture, run hot water for a bit. This encourages food oils to run through the drain instead of sticking around.
Serving Carlsbad, San Marcos, Encinitas and BeyondIf you need something more intensive in Carlsbad, San Marcos, Del Mar, Encinitas or Solana Beach, such as a sewer leak repair, get in touch with Coastal Plumbing Inc. at 760-720-2991.
Coastal Plumbing Inc.
Vista, CAPhone: 760-720-2991
Mon - Fri: 07:00 AM - 04:30 PM